This weekend marked the half way mark of my rotation in Costa Rica. I
felt both happy that I have made it this far, but also a wave of home
sickness has come upon me. During my other trips that lasted more than
one week, I often felt homesick after only 9 days. This trip is much
longer than 9 days, but it is extremely busy. You really never have any
free time to yourself. There is always something to be done whether its
spanish homework, working on charlas for la Carpio, MBA homework, trying
to talk to needy family members at home, taking a 30 minute bus ride to
your pharmacy, and rushing to get lunch during break. There is not a
wasted minute in the day and by the time you go to bed you just don't
want to think anymore. So naturally this is my only time I'm able to
call and talk to my husband. He gets off so late from work and I just
want to go to bed, but I miss my husband so I stay up a little later to
talk.
At two weeks I notice that I have begun to think
of things I miss from home. I miss my cats and dog more than anything. I
miss sitting on my couch with the heat turned on, under two fleece
blankets, and two cats sitting on my lap watching HGTV (who knew it
could be so chilly in San Isidro at night). Steven says he misses
driving most, but I like the simplicity of walking almost everywhere. It
only becomes annoying when I really want to go to the mall or some
other place and I realize a taxi will be expensive, the bus stop is not
really that close, and I need a second buddy to go with me. Let's
see...other things I miss
- my own comfortable bed and pillow
- drug names that I recognize (there are some off the wall medication names in my pharmacy)
- diet coke (it's expensive here)
- green beans (I've had my fill of black beans and rice)
- my closet
- my full length mirror (so I know what my outfit looks like)
- my wide selection of shoes
- wifi
- real ketchup
- I miss being alone (in the united states I had so much time alone, quiet & peaceful, but not here)
- salad
- sanwhiches from Panera
- real cheese (like cheddar or swiss-the cheese here is just strange)
I
don't want to sound like I'm complaining about my experience thus far,
these are just things that I miss. There are several aspects that I love
about Costa Rica including the people, the fresh fruit, the amazing
weather, and of course the spectacular beauty of the country. I have
three more weeks in Costa Rica and I will be sad to see them fly by. My
best recommendation to keep your mind off home is to have something to
look forward to each weekend. For example, the last two weekends I have
had trips to Manuel Antonio and Arenal. I have no trip planned for this
weekend except for a possible day trip to volcan Poas. Currently, all I
can think about is when my husband will get here and will he be able to
find his way to San Isidro? Will he have time to meet mi familia tica?
It really exciting to have the opportunity to show someone what you've
been doing for month in another country. I have not previously had that
opportunity and I look forward to it now. I saw amazing things on my
trips to Europe and Belize, but I feel like I could never express the
importance of my experience through pictures or words. I'm looking
forward to my next two weeks in San Isidro and hope that they do not go
by too fast.

ELEC
Frutas y Veduras
la inglesia de San Isidro
Love reading your post, Jenny! How wonderful that David will be joining you soon. I can only imagine how nice it will be for you to share your experience with him. Enjoyu the rest of your stay, and, keep posting!
ReplyDelete